You know I love a good project, and my favorite of the last nine months has been decorating Baby Mac’s nursery. Mac and I set out to create a beautiful space for our baby that was happy, safe, and budget-friendly. With a few DIY hacks and some great finds at places like IKEA, Target, and Amazon, we transformed the second bedroom into a sweet little nook for Baby Mac.
Inspiration: Although we planned on a delivery surprise, I always wanted a gender-neutral nursery that could evolve as our child grew. I imagined something stylish but kid-friendly. We started with mint green, thinking it would work perfectly for a girl or boy depending on what we paired it with. Gray, white, and accents of gold and black add pops of color throughout the room, and a mix of textures and patterns create visual interest for the baby. (The geometric mobile has to be one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a long time.)
DIY: Mac really gave Martha Stewart a run for her money these past nine months. In addition to many projects outside the nursery, he tackled a few in Baby Mac’s room, too. We started with the wardrobe, which originally sported frosted glass panels straight out of 1970. Mac popped those suckers out and replaced them with chalkboard, painting the trim the same mint color as the walls. We can’t wait to leave messages for Baby Mac on there (and see him/her write their own someday!).
A few other fun DIYs? Mac stumbled across a photo of a mint nursery with a striped accent wall and set to work in Baby Mac’s room, painting one right behind the crib. I’m so in love with it! Due to the angle of the bookcase, he built a little ledge to fasten the baby moniter to, assembled every piece of furniture (and toy), and hung all the photo frames and prints. He’s awesome.
Little Details: Many of the prints chosen for the gallery wall have special meaning, from the illustrated mice by an Irish artist (a beautiful gift from my mother-in-law) to one of my favorite lines from Where The Wild Things Are. I bought Mac the zebra print after we found out we were expecting, and I chose “You Are My Sunshine” because my mother always used to sing it to me when I was little. And, of course, the “C” is a little nod to Baby Mac’s future initial.
We also put together a toy basket of stuffed animals from when we were younger, and the “library” is full of all our loved ones’ favorite childhood books, chosen especially for Baby Mac. We can’t wait to do the newborn shoot and fill these frames with photos of our baby’s face and us as a family of three. (I couldn’t help but frame two of our maternity photos already!)
- Behr Premium Plus Paint (in Tropical Dream)
- Prints (clockwise): Baby moccasins: Sugar Paper; “You Are My Sunshine”: Paper Source; Zebras: SS Print Shop; “C”: The Land of Nod (painted by Mac!); Little mouse prints: Gift from my mother-in-law in Ireland; Chalkboard alphabet: Coco and James via Etsy; “I’ll Eat You Up”: Blue Sky Printables via Etsy; Deer: Essanel via Etsy; “Best Kid Ever”: Mini Learners via Etsy
- IKEA Hemnes Dresser (in white stain)
- Colgate Visco Contour Changing Pad with Carter’s Changing Pad Cover (in smoke gray chevron)
- Eddie Bauer Nursery Caddy (in gray/white polka dots)
- IKEA Kvill Frame
- Michael’s candle
- Threshold Turned Wood Table Lamp
- Circo Porcelain Bunny Nightlight
- Target laundry hamper
- IKEA Sundvik Crib (in white stain)
- IKEA Eivor Throw
- Maileg Sleepy Wakey Bambi and Squirrel animals (here and here)
- Jellycat Woodland Bunny via Amazon
- Sleep Sheep via Pottery Barn Kids
- Francesca’s “Dream Big” Pillow
- Themis Trio Decor Mobile via Amazon
- Carter’s Woven Crib Sheets (in smoke gray chevron)
- IKEA Fardrup Rug
- IKEA Hemnes Bookcase (in white stain)
- IKEA Kvill Frame
- IKEA Virserum Frames
- Circo Gold Apple Mini Coin Bank
- Target toy basket
- IKEA Osterslov Collage Frame
- Kacy Collection Morgan Nursery Swivel Glider and Ottoman via Babies “R” Us (in platinum with white piping)
- IKEA Ofelia Throw
- IKEA Vargyllen Cushion Cover and Fjadrar Inner Cushion
- IKEA Aneboda Wardrobe (in white, repurposed by Mac with chalkboard)
- Target toy baskets
Now all we need is a Baby Mac.